It could seem that voting for a candidate that is against abortion, but supports capital punishment and going to war is not being consistent.
What about the candidate that supports abortion, but is against capital punishment and going to war? Equally inconsistent, but upheld as the better option.
All life issues are not equal, but all people are. So, what's up?
WE have to think with a different mind. There are things in our Church that would seem silly: unleavened bread and mere wine becoming the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Jesus Christ, True God and True Man. Really a stretch for others, but for us it is the Center of our Faith.
The Catechism of the Catholic Church helps us through this:
ABORTION - Always against Church teaching.
• 2258 "Human life is sacred because from its beginnings it involves the creative action of God and it remains for ever in a special relationship with the Creator, who is it sole end. God alone is the Lord of life from its beginning until its end: not one can under any circumstance claim for himself the right directly to destroy an innocent human being."
•2322 "From it's conception, the child has the right to life. Direct abortion, that is, abortion willed as an end or as a means, is a "criminal" practice gravely contrary to the moral law. The Church imposes the canonical penalty of excommunication for this crime against human life"
• Abortion is big business. Besides the money generated from the largely unregulated procedures. The body parts of the children are sold for large profits. Even the Eggs from baby girls only twelve weeks old are harvested and sold for use in women.
• Women who have had abortions suffer from depression and fall into drug abuse and promiscuity because of their actions.
• Abortion is against nature. The "fruit" of abortion is that women lose their value as persons and become objects; escalating the downward cultural spiral we are experiencing. Abortion hurts more than women, it effect us all and is NOT just between a woman and her doctor.
Capital Punishment/Death Penalty - Allowed by the Church
• 2265 "Legitimate defense can be not only a right but a grave duty for someone responsible for another's life, the common good of the family or of the state.
• 2266 Preserving the common good or society requires rendering the aggressor unable to inflict harm.
• This penalty is performed only on convicted criminals. They have had their day in court.And there is usually an automatic appeal process to correct errors.
• Many sole anti-Capital punishment folks think it should not be used, since there can be errors and innocent people executed. This creates great anxiety that innocent life would be shed, hopefully they feel as strongly about the shedding of innocent unborn life.
NUMBERS - Since 1973 the total number of criminals executed is 3,000 (thousand).
NUMBERS- Since 1973 the total number of abortions is 53,000,000 (million), 1.3 million each year. 36 abortions in Oregon each day.
53,000,000 abortions divided by 3,000 executions =
17,666 times more abortions than executions
WAR - Is allowed by the Church
• 2309 The Just War theory and ....The evaluations of these conditions for moral legitimacy belongs to the prudential judgment of those who have responsibility for the common good.
Observations: Reasons for a strong Military.
• Liberation, self-defense and protection of others.
Below are some posts from years gone by. With the abortion rate 17,666 times the rate for capital punishment...the abortion issue is not defended 17,666 more times by the US Catholic Church or our archdiocese.
- "I do not believe in a fate that falls on men however they act; but I do believe in a fate that falls on them unless they act."
- G. K. Chesterton, Generally Speaking, Chapter 20, 1929