Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Bishop Alexander King Sample is our new Archbishop, Praise God

   
                                        

Archbishop-Designate Alexander K. Sample is to be Installed on April 2nd.


              



                  A sample of Bishop Sample

                                Bishop Alexander King Sample
Father Z'S Blog Regarding Archbishop-Designate Alexander King Sample

Chant Cafe on OCP and new Archbishop-Desigate Sample

Bishop Sample on the Faith through Lighthouse Media Store

Vatican Appoints Bishop Sample to Archdiocese of Portland in Oregon

Archdiocese of Portland's New Archbishop is Already Doing His Homework






The CWR Blog




The Vatican announced this morning that Bishop Alexander Sample of Marquette, Michigan will be the new archbishop of Portland, Oregon, succeeding Archbishop John Vlazny. From the Vatican’s statement on the new appointment:
Bishop Sample, previously bishop of Marquette, Michigan, USA, was born in Kalispell, Montana, USA, in 1960, was ordained to the priesthood in 1990, and received episcopal ordination in 2006. In the national bishops’ conference he currently serves on the Subcommittees on Native American Catholics and on the Catechism. He is also vice-postulator for the cause for canonisation of Venerable Frederic Baraga, first bishop of the Diocese of Marquette.
At the time of his episcopal ordination, Bishop Sample was the youngest Catholic bishop in the US, and the first to be born in the 1960s. He also made headlines in 2009 when he asked retired Detroit auxiliary bishop Thomas Gumbleton to not speak within the Diocese of Marquette because of Gumbleton’s dissenting views on homosexuality and women’s ordination.
A few years back, Bishop Sample gave a wide-ranging interview to CWR, touching on how he discerned his priestly vocation, the troubled state of catechesis in the United States today, and the larger challenges facing the American Church. Here are a few excerpts:

You’ve said that, to your pleasant surprise, scandalous behavior by a few members of the clergy, rather than being the end of the priesthood, has led to a time of transformation and renewal. Can you explain?

Bishop Sample: I’ve been involved in priest personnel work for many years. For nearly a decade, I was Marquette’s chancellor and director of ministry personnel services. I was the point-man when it came to dealing with issues of clerical sexual abuse. In 2002, when the priestly scandals were erupting, we were already struggling with vocations. I thought—this is going to be the death blow for vocations. What young man in this climate is going to give his life to the priesthood?
I was completely surprised. Many young men—wholesome, faith-filled, zealous men—stepped forward to become a part of the solution, to rebuild the Church. They wanted to be a part of the renewal of the priesthood. That’s remarkable. It’s a work of the Holy Spirit.
I think we’re on the verge of a new Pentecost, which has to start with the priesthood. In the parish, it is the pastor that sets the tone. I tell my priests—as goes the head, so goes the body. The priest ministers to the Church in persona Christi capitis, in the person of Christ, the head.
Jesus is the head of his body, the Church. The priest ministers in the person of Christ, the head. And if the head is holy, strong, zealous, and fervent, strong in faith, hope, and love, then that will help lead and guide the rest of the body, the Church.
I’m excited. I recently ordained two fine young men to the priesthood. They’re excited. They’re ready to go. They want to be priests and serve Christ and his people. All the men we have in the seminary are an inspiration to me for the future of the Church.
You’ve described yourself as a member of “the first lost generation of poor catechesis,” which “raised up another generation that is equally uncatechized.”What’s wrong with catechesis and what have you done to help solve the problem?

Bishop Sample: My generation was the first in the wake of Vatican II. While I certainly don’t blame the Council, much upheaval occurred in the Church in its aftermath. Culturally, society was experiencing the sexual revolution, the women’s liberation movement, and the anti-war movement, among others. There was an anti-authoritarian spirit.
In this time of great confusion, catechesis suffered. We booted the Baltimore Catechism out the door, but there wasn’t anything to replace it. I was taught the faith in Catholic schools using materials that were weak and insubstantial. I wasn’t being taught my faith. The liturgy suffered from experimentation as well.
When I speak about this publicly, invariably people of my generation come up to me to agree with what I’m saying. This includes many bishops.
My generation raised up the next generation. Since we weren’t taught the faith, we raised children who weren’t either.
We need a renewal in catechesis. I feel passionately about this. In my Diocese of Marquette, I directed the development of a diocesan curriculum for faith formation for grades K-8. It is a solid, substantive, systematic, and sequential curriculum, which builds from one year to the next. It is topical, based on the pillars of the catechism. Every parish is expected to follow this curriculum.
Now I’m turning my attention toward adult faith formation. If we can get catechesis and the liturgy right, we’ll be well on our way to the renewal and growth of the Church for which we hope.
What concerns do you have regarding the Church and the public square?

Bishop Sample: I have two grave moral concerns, in the areas of the protection of innocent human life and the defense of traditional marriage. As a society, we must take steps to protect the unborn, and also the elderly and handicapped. And, since marriage and family are the basic unit of society, the health of society rests on the health of marriage and family life. Anything which threatens either of these is seriously destructive.

26 comments:

David Wendell said...

Praise God !!

Liz said...

I came here via Fr. Z's blog. Congratulations on your new bishop! I had the opportunity to meet the archbishop one time and he was so kind and I have heard that he is so good. God bless you, Liz

Joan Peterson said...

Deo Gratias! What a glorious day! We could not have asked for better. Welcome, dear Archbishop Sample!!!

Judy said...



PRAISE TO OUR TRIUNE GOD FROM WHOM ALL BLESSINGS FLOW! BLESSED MOTHER AND ST. JOSEPH THANK YOU! THANK YOU CAROLYN....I SHALL IMMEDIATELY GO FOR A SPECIAL HOLY HOUR OF THANKSGIVING! I WOULD LOVE TO BE A PART OF THE ORDINATION IN ANY WAY. KEEP ME POSTED.

GOD BLESS YOU IN JESUS THROUGH MARY, JUDY NEWPORT MOTHER MARY'S DAUGHTERS

VOCAL said...

Judy, Words are not enough to think of how much we are loved by God. .

I'll let you know as I know of anything.

God Bless. Your love of Our Lady asking Her for Favors, Is part of this happiness we feel.

Michael Hichborn,, American Life League said...

God bless you all ... you are VERY blessed to have Bishop Sample there!

I am certain that he will put an end to the CCHD mess there, among other things!

Michael Hichborn, American Life League

VOCAL said...

Thanks Michael. CCHD will hopefully be morphed into something good for Catholics. We are so happy here and are thankful to God for this Mercy of Bishop Sample.

Restore-DC-Catholicism said...

I hope for your sakes that CCHD is ejected in its entirety from your archdiocese. As long as 75% of its collections go to the national office, it can serve no good.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Carolyn - my contacts in Minnesota tell me that we are blessed to have Bishop Alexander Sample.... get on Fr. Zuhlsdorf's wonderful blog, "What Does The Prayer Really Say?" (see site highlighted below) and find a kindred soul..................I met him a few years ago at the funeral of my cousin, Monsignor Schuler, who mentored him into the priesthood, I think..... You'll love his blog, Carolyn ! Wish I had thought to mention it years ago.........he has quite an article on Bishop Sample, as well as other things...... you'll love his intellectual style of writing....let me know what you think.

http://wdtprs.com/blog/

VOCAL said...

Thanks Carol. I published the link to Father Z's blog already. He tends to correct me now and then when I need it. He is a real stickler which I need.

God Bless us everyone, as Tiny Tim would say on this great Mercy from Christ in the form of Bishop Sample.

Lili said...

Are we so excited?

VOCAL said...

Have I come down from the ceiling yet? I don't know...Thank you Lord.

Judi said...

JMJ

Carolyn, Soon I will have much to share with you. God bless you for being so true to our loving Triune God and His Beloved Mother and her protective and loving Joseph.

VOCAL said...

I look forward to a nice chat. Thanks for sharing with me.

God Bless.

Janice said...

Yep, I've been reading up on him. Yahoo! Praise The Lord!

God bless you.

Sharon said...

Yes - finally! We are blessed!

Diane said...

When I sent the email about Sample to my daughter ( Sr. ,,,, OP) earlier

this morning, she said she did the 'happy dance' in front of her students. ( She was teaching

at the time)!


The true test of a man is what he will do when no one will know.

VOCAL said...

We will join her in this dance. God Bless him.

Caren said...

Praise God!! He is amazing and will bring the Extraordinary form of the Mass to the Archdiocese!!

Episcopal housecleaning!!!'

Sent from my iPhone

VOCAL said...

They will act so "Catholic" when their salaries are at stake.

Let's pray for Bishop Sample's discernment. He will be in a great spiritual battle.

We want all the staff to go to Heaven, but for many years, they have been paid for many years with the monies of faithful Catholics, that is, Catholics who believe in the Pope as head of Christ's Church period.

God grant all of us wisdom. And may true justice prevail.

Jeanine said...

Thanks Carolyn.
I'm sending you tons of hugs.
I read the article regarding Archbishop Sample taking on the retired
auxilliary bishop - I was impressed.

Love,
Jeanine

VOCAL said...

I'm so happy, having Obama as the President isn't bothering me anymore. Out of darkness and into the Life. Thank you Jesus.

Judi said...

Thank you, Jesus:)

Tamra said...

I am so happy for Portland!!!!!

VOCAL said...

Isn't this marvelous? We are greatly blessed. Wish you were here.

californiacatholic@catholic.org said...

The video of Bishop Sample giving a homily really demonstrates what a classy dresser he is. I don't think I've ever seen Archbishop Vlazny with such ornate lace on his sleeves.