By Cheryl Sullenger
Washington, DC – Seven Planned Parenthood facilities, six of which conducted medication abortions, are set to permanently close today in three states.
Planned Parenthood officials noted that the closures were primarily an attempt to remain solvent amid fears that Medicaid reimbursements would be halted by Congress.
“It isn’t very often we see seven Planned Parenthood facilities close in one day. This may have set some kind of record. It is great news for women and their babies who will no longer be preyed upon for profit by Planned Parenthood in these communities,” said Troy Newman, President of Operation Rescue. “Many Planned Parenthood facilities survive only on on government funding. There are so many other reputable providers of legitimate healthcare for women out there. Even if every Planned Parenthood was shut down, no one would have to due without proper medical care. We should not be funding Planned Parenthood with our tax dollars.”
Medication abortion facilities that are closing as of June 30, 2017, include:
• Atlantic City Planned Parenthood, Atlantic City, New Jersey. (Cited “security” reasons for closure.)Keokuk Health Center Planned Parenthood, in Keokuk, Iowa, a center that referred for abortions, will also permanently close on June 30.
• Burlington Health Center, Burlington, Iowa. (Financial reasons.)
• Sioux City Center Planned Parenthood, Sioux City, Iowa. (Financial reasons.)
• Central Richmond Health Center, Richmond, CA. (Financial reasons.)
• Vacaville Health Center Planned Parenthood, Vacaville, CA. (Financial reasons.)
• Pittsburg Health Center, Pittsburg, CA. (Financial reasons.)
Another Iowa medication abortion facility, Quad Cities Center Planned Parenthood in Bettendorf, is set to close once the building sells.
The closures continue a national trend of abortion facility closures that appears to have intensified since the election of President Donald Trump.
In order to prevent Planned Parenthood from expanding once again, please contact your Senators today and urge them to completely defund Planned Parenthood in the upcoming legislation to repeal and replace of Obamacare, which is expected to come up for a vote after the Independence Day break.