- -- Saul Alinsky
"CHANGE AGENTS : Alinskyian Organizing among Religious Bodies"
We are fortunate indeed to have a Catholic grassroots woman who, for decades, has kept a history of Saul Alinsky and his effect in our lives. This woman's name is Stephanie Block from New Mexico.
In 2007, many Oregonians participated in three workshops that she and VOCAL presented in Portland, Salem and Bend: "Justice in Pieces". You can still get a Powerpoint CD and handout that the members of the workshops received. This is a free gift so send VOCAL your address and it will be sent right out.
The name Saul Alinsky has been tied to the Catholic Church since the beginning and we still keep this mindset alive by our ignorance and trust. How can our Church leaders be so lost? Catholics and Christian denominations generate massive amounts of money, but more importantly lead the faithful astray and in Oregon the Earth Charter is sometimes the focus instead of the Catechism. (VOCAL has more posts about this..just enter "Earth Charter" in the front of the blog for this and any other question".
The Rules for Radicals
- RULE 1: “Power is not only what you have, but what the enemy thinks you have.” Power is derived from 2 main sources – money and people. “Have-Nots” must build power from flesh and blood.
- RULE 2: “Never go outside the expertise of your people.” It results in confusion, fear and retreat. Feeling secure adds to the backbone of anyone.
- RULE 3: “Whenever possible, go outside the expertise of the enemy.” Look for ways to increase insecurity, anxiety and uncertainty.
- RULE 4: “Make the enemy live up to its own book of rules.” If the rule is that every letter gets a reply, send 30,000 letters. You can kill them with this because no one can possibly obey all of their own rules.
- RULE 5: “Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon.” There is no defense. It’s irrational. It’s infuriating. It also works as a key pressure point to force the enemy into concessions.
- RULE 6: “A good tactic is one your people enjoy.” They’ll keep doing it without urging and come back to do more. They’re doing their thing, and will even suggest better ones.
- RULE 7: “A tactic that drags on too long becomes a drag.” Don’t become old news.
- RULE 8: “Keep the pressure on. Never let up.” Keep trying new things to keep the opposition off balance. As the opposition masters one approach, hit them from the flank with something new.
- RULE 9: “The threat is usually more terrifying than the thing itself.” Imagination and ego can dream up many more consequences than any activist.
- RULE 10: “If you push a negative hard enough, it will push through and become a positive.” Violence from the other side can win the public to your side because the public sympathizes with the underdog.
- RULE 11: “The price of a successful attack is a constructive alternative.” Never let the enemy score points because you’re caught without a solution to the problem.
- RULE 12: “Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.” Cut off the support network and isolate the target from sympathy. Go after people and not institutions; people hurt faster than institutions.
We can ask Stephanie Block to re-visit our state and have some quality time asking questions about Oregon and CCHD. Let your voice be heard. REFORM CCHD NOW
Happy Thanksgiving to all of you...sorry this is a little late.